Thursday, July 27, 2006

Whatever It Takes To Plays The Banjo

I smashed my left index finger yesterday, and was feeling sorry for myself because it was too swollen for me to play the banjo. I decided, however, that I had no cause for complaint after watching a video of Mountain Heart. The amazing Barry Abernathy plays banjo though missing all the fingers from his left hand. Incredible. I guess I'll just make do with three fingers for a while.

This link takes you to a CMT page. "I'm Just Here to Ride the Train" is a good one for watching the banjo player.

I showed the video to Katie, and she says, "Why would anyone want to play the banjo that much?" Banjo players are so misunderstood.

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, wow. That's incredible! I've heard clips of them before, but I had no idea their banjo player was missing those fingers. That's amazing. And I hope your finger feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

That is truly amazing! It boggles the mind to see it.

How'd you smash your finger? Was it something exciting? I never hurt myself in exciting ways... it's usually something embarrassing. Ya know, like falling in water at Jason's and not being able to use my had right for 6 months.

John said...

I don't know if you would consider this exciting or embarrassing, but it happened while performing a maneuver which involved intentionally inverting myself. By accident, my entire body weight came down on the finger, causing it to bend in a direction perpendicular to that in which it is intended. But don't worry; it is improving steadily, although slowly.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's doing better, but you totally creeped me out with the description.

John said...

Pretty amazing what some people can do.

So, I see you are to some extent familiar with Vision Forum Ministries. Do you know anything about the SAICFF?

John said...

Thanks for visiting, John.

I am aware of the event, but I have never attended or even followed it very closely. I do appreciate what Vision Forum is trying to do in terms of setting a high standard of quality in both method and message. Have you been involved with the festival?

John said...

I have never been before, but I think I am going this year. Some friends of mine submitted a film and I made a trailer that I entered.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Good to see you this weekend.

John said...

Hi Christy!

I really enjoyed seeing you all too.