Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"What do they teach them in these schools?"

I was listening to a local talk radio show this morning, and I heard about a study that CNN did recently in which they found a remarkable lack of geographical knowledge among college students. Of a study group of 500 Americans between the ages of 18 and 24, sixty-six percent could not point to Iraq when shown a world map. Having been homeschooled all my life, I realize I am not well acquainted with what goes on in a typical high school classroom, but I fail to comprehend how one could take even a general overview of recent U.S. and world history and not know where Iraq is. As if this failure of our schools was not disconcerting enough, here's the more important issue: These people are members of the voting public, yet they do not care enough about their country to locate the nation where thousands of our troops are fighting and dying.

For those of you who do care about where our country has been, where it is, and where it is going, remember this: A light shines brightest when it is surrounded by darkness.

No comments: