Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Fire on the Strings in Hindsight

I had a great time at the festival on Saturday. In the morning I watched the Texas state banjo and flatpicking guitar championships. Amazingly, a kid about fifteen years old beat Chris Hirsch for first place in the banjo contest. Mr. Hirsch, for those who don't know, is the local can-play-anything-on-the-banjo man. In the afternoon and evening we had performances by four local bands: The LoneStar Band, The Bluegrass Solution, Hickory Hill, and Classical Grass, and two national bands: Cadillac Sky and Blue Highway. Those two especially were impressive not only for their ability as musicians, but also for their coordination. Each band played like a single instrument. Wow.

I had a baby girl after me all evening. Her parents were sitting several rows behind me, and they let her wander pretty liberally. She inevitably came to me, hugging me, asking to be held, smiling, laughing, etc. This caused no end of amusement to the people surrounding me. I think their interest was generated largely by the fact that as an unaccompanied male in his early twenties, I could be expected to have less interest in babies than almost anyone else in the room. I actually did hold her, which was fun because I haven't held a baby in a long time.

I didn't get home until 1:00 Sunday morning. Someone at church commented that I looked a little tired. Imagine that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He beat Chris Hirsch?? Wow. That's pretty amazing.

For Daddy's birthday, we got him, among other things, two cds. One was a Patsy Cline cd with her 22 greatest hits, and the other was the cd The Three Pickers, with Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson, and Earl Scruggs. I had seen The Three Pickers concert on tv once, and the cd is the live recording of that event. It's very good. But with those three, what else could you expect?