Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Heroism

I am currently reading a novel which is set in post-Dunkirk France. The hero is Mr. Howard, a 70-year-old Englishman who had been visiting in France when the Nazis invaded Holland, Belgium, and France. He has no extraordinary abilities, nor is he an important person who can demand attention or respect. In the course of the plot, Mr. Howard is made responsible for several children as he makes his way with them back to England though war-torn France. I feel like there is something compelling about the way a physically feeble man is obliged to rise up and protect the even more helpless children. This book has made me aware of how accustomed I am to heros being young, strong, or quite capable in some important way. I am reminded that heroism may or may not look impressive to other people. The essence of heroism is doing what you know you must do, and sacrificing what is yours for others.

No comments: